Bangle.js is the first hackable open source JS and TensorFlow-driven smartwatch.
Bangle.js was launched at the recently concluded NodeConf EU conference, and the goal is to bootstrap an Open Health Platform hopefully. NodeWatch is the specific implementation of Bangle.js for NodeConf EU 2019, co-developed by Espruino and NearForm Research.
This project has the potential to bootstrap a community-driven open health platform where anyone can build or use any compatible device and everyone owns their own data.
The Evolution of Bangle.js – Espruino conference badges of 2017, 2018 and 2019 at NodeConf EU 2019.
At the core of Bangle.js is the Nordic Semi Nordic Semiconductor NRF52832 SoC using the Bluetooth LE 4.2 Technology and a 32mbit flash. The device also comes with a KX023 accelerometer, a single 3 axis compass, BD 1668 heart rate monitor, a Holtek touch controller (bs83a02a with 2 zones on/off). The display is made up of 240×240 Colour LCD, GPS is included using the U-box UBX-M8130 (supports GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou), three buttons, and a buzzer for notification possibilities.
- IP68 Waterproof: up to 10m underwater
- Nordic 64MHz nRF52832 ARM Cortex-M4 processor with Bluetooth LE
- 64kB RAM 512kB on-chip flash, 4MB external flash
- 1.3 inch 240×240 16 bit LCD with 2 zone touch
- GPS/Glonass receiver (UBlox)
- Heart rate monitor
- 3 Axis Accelerometer (with Pedometer and Tap detect)
- 3 Axis Magnetometer
- Piezo speaker and Vibration motor
- 350mAh battery, 1 week standby time
- 5 x 5 x 1.7 cm case, plastic with stainless steel ring
- Can be disassembled with just 4 screws
The team has demonstrated the machine learning capability of the device with the gesture control demonstration at the NodeConf EU. The gesture recognition is based on TensorFlow and HID to control presentation slides.
Bangle.js is now running a Kickstarter campaign, which, as at this point in writing, has exceeded its target goal. With a pledge of £47 plus £10 for shipping (~$61 + $13), you can get one Bangle.js watch. Delivery is expected around March 2020.
More information about Bangle.js is available on the announcement post.
social experiment by Livio Acerbo #greengroundit #thisisnotapost #thisisart