Retailers love to throw the term Black Friday around a lot. A whole lot. From Black Friday marketing emails hitting your inbox mid-January to the “Black Friday in July” sales that hover around Amazon Prime Day, it’s easy to think that Black Friday lasts all year long. Those emails and sales are deceptive, but they do get one thing right: Black Friday isn’t just one day anymore.
In fact, it’s not even two days. Some stores start selling items at Black Friday prices the first week of November, and others kick off their Black Friday sales the Monday before Thanksgiving. Arbitrary holidays like Cyber Monday (the Monday after Thanksgiving), Green Monday, and Free Shipping Day keep the whole deal-fest going for weeks.
So yes, Black Friday deals are already taking over, but not all of them are good. We’ve gathered up a list of early deals that are actually worth your time (and money). The items listed below are at or very close to advertised Black Friday prices, so if any are on your holiday shopping list, you might be able to get a head start.
Our list is small now but will grow in time. We’ll keep it updated for a couple of weeks until we start covering Black Friday sales as they go live.
Update: We added a few new deals on Roku, Ring, and more. We removed expired deals on the REI backpack and the Squatty Potty.
When you buy something using the retail links in our stories, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Read more about how this works.
- Roku Premiere for $29 ($11 off): The Roku Premiere has 4K functionality, so it’s a step above the base model. We have a handy guide on picking the right Roku. These devices are pretty handy to have, but be wary of the channels you use!
- Apple Watch Series 3 for $170 ($29 off): After the Series 5 debuted, the Series 3 MSRP dropped to $199. Saving even more on top of that is a steal. This is one of the best fitness trackers on the market.
- Echo Show 8 for $100 ($30 off): This is a preorder of Amazon’s newest Echo Show device. It ships on November 21. If you order it and the price changes between now and when your order ships, Amazon will charge you the lower price.
- Apple AirPods Pro for $235 ($14 off): This deal has been going in and out of stock, so if it isn’t available when you check, circle back to see if it’s on sale again. These are Apple’s newest AirPods, and overall, we really like them. We like them a lot.
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro for $149 ($100 off): This video doorbell lets you see who is at the door. It works in conjunction with smart displays like the aforementioned Echo Show, too. Ring offers convenience, but has had its share of problems, partially due to a partnership with law enforcement. Read more about the Amazon-owned company here.
- Ring Alarm Security Kit for $119 ($80 off): This kit includes a keypad, a sensor for doors and windows, a motion detector, and more. It’s a good basic home security package. You can purchase additional pieces to round it out more fully.
- Apple AirPods With Wireless Charging Case for $139 ($20 off): This price matches the one we’ll see on Black Friday and brings the non-Pro version of Apple’s AirPods down to even less money than the earlier generation is selling for.
- Target’s TV Sale: Prices and savings vary in this sale, but most of the prices are either a match of Target’s Black Friday ad prices, or they come close. Brands like TCL and Samsung are included. A Target REDcard will get you another 5 percent off.
- Bose Home Speaker 300 for $199 ($60 off): This home speaker has Alexa built in and has never sold for less. We included this speaker’s big brother in our roundup of the best smart speakers, and the 300 performs nearly as well.
- UE Boom 2 for $70 ($30 off): This speaker used to sell for more than $150 and was our favorite Bluetooth speaker for several years. The Boom 3 now leads our picks, but this one is still great. It’s loud, water-resistant, and quite portable. The Boom 2 regularly sells for closer to $100. This discount is still a great one, beating previous deals we’ve shared by $10.
social experiment by Livio Acerbo #greengroundit #wired https://www.wired.com/story/early-black-friday-deals-2019