Rudolph has come and gone, but there are quite a few post-holiday sales going on. Now is a great time to use up any gift cards that you may have received yesterday. Or, if you still have a few stragglers to shop for, you can pick them up a belated gift at a discount. The same can be said for any birthday gifts for those unfortunate folks born in late December or early January.
Then again, maybe your holiday gifts weren’t so holly and jolly. If that’s the case, here’s a guide on how to return everything.
When you buy something using the links in our stories, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Here’s how it works. You can also support our reporting and reviewing by purchasing a 1-year print + digital WIRED subscription for $5 (Discounted).
Outdoor and Home Deals
For the next few weeks, there will be plenty of deals on fitness and health gear to assist in any resolutions you may have made. If you’re in the market for a fitness tracker, gym supplies, or other health and wellness gadgets, they’ll probably go on sale soon if they haven’t already.
- LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for $10 ($2 off): This deal is not a rare one. However, if you’re traveling to a place where there may be limited access to safe drinking water, a LifeStraw is a smart investment. You can use it to drink out of puddles, rivers, and other bodies of water, and it filters out anything that may make water non-potable. It’s a good idea to keep one in your hiking bag.
- Fossil Sport Smartwatch for $104 ($96 off): This Fossil smartwatch doesn’t quite compete with the Apple Watch in terms of features, but WIRED digital director Brian Barrett called it the best WearOS smartwatch you could buy when he tested it last year. Use coupon code WINTER30 to save. If the savings don’t work, we recommend picking it up for $144 ($56 off) at Amazon—still a good deal.
- Kidde Fire Extinguisher for $10 ($9 off): You need a fire extinguisher! At the very least, your lease may require it, and of course there’s the small matter of it potentially saving your life. At only $10 there’s no excuse not to buy this model if you don’t have one on-hand. This extinguisher is rated for liquid, gas, and energized electrical fires. Choosing in-store pickup will help you avoid shipping fees.
- Echo Show 5 Two-Pack for $90 ($90 off): This device takes Alexa and gives it a screen. The display is small, making this a better option for a nightstand as opposed to a kitchen counter. The discount is essentially a buy one, get one free deal. Check out our guide to smart displays to learn what your options are. Use code SHOW52PK to save.
- Lenovo Smart Clock for $40 ($40 off): This is the Google-powered nightstand clock. We gave this gadget a 7/10 in our review. It’s one of our favorite Google Assistant-powered smart displays, but its small screen is particularly suited to the bedroom. Unlike some similar smart displays, this one doesn’t have a camera. The discount matches what we saw for Black Friday, and we prefer Google’s voice assistant to Amazon’s.
- REI “Year-End Clearance” Sale for up to 50 percent off: Lots of gear is up for grabs at up to half-off. You can save on jackets, boots, snow supplies, and accessories. This Hydro Flask tumbler, for example, is 40 percent off in two colors.
- Backcountry “New Decade Deals” for up to 50 percent off: Backcountry’s new markdowns offer the same discount as REI’s, but item selection and availability varies by store. We like this Fjallraven Re-Wool Hat made of recycled wool. It is available in a couple of colors for $48, a $10 discount.
- Moosejaw “Don’t Go Extinct” Sale: This sale is all about staying warm while it’s cold outside. If you don’t plan on hibernating this winter, you might want to check it out. This Outdoor Research Foray Jacket is lightweight, yet warm. It’s made with Gore-Tex to keep you dry, while the side vents prevent you from steaming.
Software, Movie, and Videogame Deals
social experiment by Livio Acerbo #greengroundit #wired https://www.wired.com/story/after-christmas-deals-and-sales-2019